Article Text

PDF

Using a metal detector to locate a swallowed ring pull.
  1. J Ryan,
  2. C A Perez-Avila,
  3. A Cherukuri,
  4. B Tidey
  1. Accident and Emergency Department, Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton.

    Abstract

    A 48-year-old man accidently swallowed the ring pull from a soft drink can. He complained of pain in his chest. Chest radiographs were normal. A metal detector emitted a strong response when passed across the front of his chest. Oesophagoscopy was carried out and the ring pull was successfully removed. We recommend the wider use of metal detectors by accident and emergency (A&E) department staff particularly when dealing with patients who have ingested metals of low radiodensity.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.

    Linked Articles