Article Text

PDF
Contact burns from hair straighteners: a new hazard in the home
  1. R A Duncan1,
  2. S Waterston2,
  3. T F Beattie1,
  4. K Stewart2
  1. 1Accident and Emergency Department, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Sciennes Road, Edinburgh, UK
  2. 2Department of Plastic Surgery, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Sciennes Road, Edinburgh, UK
  1. Correspondence to:
 Dr R A Duncan
 Accident and Emergency Department, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Sciennes Road, Edinburgh, EH9 1LF; raduncan{at}doctors.org.uk

Abstract

This series highlights a previously unreported hazard for children within the home, hair straightening irons. Thermal injury is a common reason for presentation at the emergency department. Contact burns from domestic irons and hair curling tongs are well documented in the literature. We have become aware of this new hazard in the home, which has resulted in several presentations to our department with deep partial thickness or full thickness burns.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

  • Competing interests: there are no competing interests

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.