The prehospital management of chest injuries: a consensus statement. Faculty of Pre-hospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- 1SpR Emergency Medicine, Immediate Care Practitioner, Academic Department of Traumatology, West Midlands, UK
- 2SpR Trauma and Orthopaedics, West Midlands, UK
- 3Academic Department of Traumatology, West Midlands, UK
- 4Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK
- Correspondence to: Dr Caroline Lee Academic Department of Traumatology, Room 28, West Wing, Institute of Research and Development, Birmingham Research Park, Vincent Drive, Birmingham, B15 2SQ, 0121 415 8867, UK;
- Accepted 1 December 2006
This paper provides a guideline for the management of prehospital chest injuries after a consensus meeting held by the Faculty of Prehospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, in January 2005. An overview of the prehospital assessment, diagnosis and interventions for life threatening chest injury are discussed, with the application of skills depending on the training, experience and competence of the individual practitioner.
Competing interests: None.