Article Text

PDF
Death from paracetamol overdose despite appropriate treatment with n-acetylcysteine
  1. Chris Bourdeaux,
  2. Jeremy Bewley
  1. Department of Anaesthesia, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
  1. Correspondence to:
 Dr C Bourdeaux
 Department of Anaesthesia, Level 7, Queens Building, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK; chrisbourdeaux{at}googlemail.com

Abstract

A case of death from severe paracetamol poisoning which presented early and received appropriate treatment according to evidence-based guidelines is presented here. It is very rare for patients to die from paracetamol poisoning when they receive N-acetylcysteine (NAC) within 8 h of ingestion. The patient had a marked lactic acidosis on presentation to hospital. This case demonstrates that a patient can die from paracetamol poisoning despite early and appropriate treatment, and raises the question whether lactic acidosis in a patient following paracetamol overdose should prompt the initiation of NAC treatment while awaiting paracetamol levels.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

  • Competing interests: None declared.

  • Informed consent was obtained for publication of the person’s details in this report.

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.