Article Text

PDF
Carbon monoxide poisoning associated with Narghile use
  1. Umut Yucel Cavus1,
  2. Zehra Hamiyet Rehber2,
  3. Ozcan Ozeke3,
  4. Erdogan Ilkay3
  1. 1Department of Emergency Medicine, MESA Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  2. 2Department of Internal Medicine, MESA Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  3. 3Department of Cardiology, MESA Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
  1. Correspondence to Ozcan Ozeke, MESA Hastanesi, Kardiyoloji Klinigi, 06590 Ankara, Turkey; ozcanozeke{at}gmail.com

Abstract

The case history is presented of a healthy 25-year-old man who was admitted to hospital after two syncopal episodes caused by carbon monoxide poisoning after smoking narghile. Clinicians should be aware of this association when they evaluate syncope in the emergency department, especially in narghile users.

  • Carbon monoxide
  • poisoning
  • narghile
  • hookah
  • waterpipe
  • nursing
  • emergency departments
  • toxicology

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

  • Competing interests None.

  • Patient consent Obtained.

  • Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; not externally peer reviewed.

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.