Background The Valsalva manoeuvre is commonly used in EDs to terminate supraventricular tachycardia by the patient blowing into a syringe.
Aim To identify whether a specific syringe size can be recommended for use in the ED.
Results 20% of syringes ‘stuck’ and required high pressures to move. In the remaining 80% of syringes, a 20 mL syringe was the most appropriate size to achieve the recommended 40 mm Hg. Once ‘released’ plunger position did not make a difference.
Conclusions Use of a syringe of any size cannot be recommended if a consistent pressure is required.
- emergency department
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.