Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Occupational phosgene poisoning: a case report and review.
  1. J P Wyatt,
  2. C A Allister
  1. Department of Accident and Emergency, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, Strathclyde, UK.


    Phosgene is a highly toxic gas to which some workers may be occupationally exposed. This case report demonstrates the possibility of refrigeration workers suffering phosgene poisoning after heating certain chlorinated fluorocarbons ('freons'). The need to suspect phosgene exposure and observe such patients is emphasized, especially in view of the delay in clinical deterioration observed in some patients who subsequently develop adult respiratory distress syndrome.

    Statistics from

    Request Permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.