Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Saturday night blue--a case of near fatal poisoning from the abuse of amyl nitrite.
  1. T Stambach,
  2. K Haire,
  3. N Soni,
  4. J Booth
  1. Department of Anaesthetics, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London.


    A case of severe methaemoglobinaemia caused by the abuse of volatile nitrites is reported. The agents are commonly abused, but this complication is rare. The clinical presentation can make diagnosis difficult; however, the subsequent treatment needs to be rapid to avoid serious morbidity or mortality. This report presents the clinical picture and the background information leading to the detection and treatment of this unusual problem.

    Statistics from

    Request Permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.