Article Text

Download PDFPDF

Unguarded electric plugs cause penetrating head injuries in children
  1. G W Couper1,
  2. D E Boddie1,
  3. M S Eljamel2,
  4. G F Kaar1
  1. 1Department of Neurosurgery, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
  2. 2Department of Neurosurgery, Dundee Royal Infirmary
  1. Mr George Kaar, Consultant Neurosurgeon, Ward 40, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD

Statistics from Altmetric.com

A 9 month old boy fell from a bed onto an electric plug embedding the earth pin within his skull. The child did not lose consciousness and the mother removed the plug causing initial brisk bleeding. Examination revealed a 1 cm laceration to the left of the midline in the frontal area immediately behind the hairline. Neurological examination was normal. Radiography of the skull demonstrated a depressed skull fracture (fig 1). The wound was debrided under general anaesthesia with prophylactic antibiotic cover. The bone fragments were raised to reveal an intact dura. The fragments were washed and replaced and the pericranium, galea, and skin closed in separate layers. …

View Full Text

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.