Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Case of the month: Accidental mobile phone card ingestion
  1. Sudesh Dixit,
  2. Jayanand Mekwan,
  3. Nigel F Brayley
  1. Emergency Department, Colchester General Hospital, Colchester, Essex, UK
  1. Correspondence to:
 Dr J Mekwan
 Emergency Department, Colchester General Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester, Essex CO4 5JL, UK; jay.mekwan{at}

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.

Accidental overdose, poisoning and foreign-body ingestion are common presentations to the emergency department. Usually, the ingested material is a common drug or household product. We present an unusual case of accidental ingestion where the foreign body was a mobile phone simulation (SIM) card.


A 14-year-old boy attended the emergency department at 21:24 h, saying that he had swallowed part of his phone 2 h ago. He had taken the SIM card out and placed it between his teeth. Unfortunately, he managed to swallow it.

He coughed initially, then his father attempted the Heimlich manoeuvre, with no success. The boy proceeded to vomit later on; however, this did not …

View Full Text


  • Competing interests: None.

Linked Articles

  • Primary Survey
    Jonathan Wyatt